Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Family Man

First of all, I wish I had my camera SO badly! You have NO idea. I scrubbed our whole carpet (by hand!) the other day & I feel like it made our apartment look brand new. I moved some tables around and it gave our place a new and fresh feel. I'm impressed.

We finally kicked the heat on this morning, Abby and I have been cozy in our bath robes all morning and we had a Sunday morning family breakfast, French toast and eggs. (Thats a big deal in our house - I never make breakfast :D)

& With that said.. a movie Jake and I rented last night made all this cozy family stuff so much more enjoyable for me.
The Family Man

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Some of you may remember this movie..it was filmed in the early 2000's. I was scrolling through on demands movies last night while Jake was scoping through Craigslist when I came across the movie. I remembered seeing it with my mom when I was younger, and I loved it. I've been wanting to watch a good Christmas movie lately anyways, so I bought it.

Its about a man (Nicholas Cage) who leaves his college girlfriend at the airport (he's leaving to an internship of some type in London) after she begs him to stay, forget their dreams..and just say. Get married, have a family, just be together. Regardless, he still leaves. They both move on, and he becomes a huge stock broker (I think) on wall street, becomes totally rich and stays a bachelor the rest of his life. He spends Christmas eve alone, and wakes up on Christmas morning with his girlfriend from college. Only their now married, have two kids, he works for her father selling tires, and live in suburbia. He gets a glimpse of what his life would of been if he'd never gotten on that plane 13 years ago.

It is a funny, romantic, dramatic, and heart breaking movie all in one. I would suggest it to anyone. Jake and I both enjoyed it - so its not too girly for your husband or boyfriend either.

But, my point is - the film totally opened my eyes. Jake and I sometimes ponder on the life "we could of had" if we did things the right way. I would probably be graduating this year as an RN, we would be buying our first house together in the next year or so, and we probably would of ended up getting married in the next 3 or 4 years. Or who knows? Maybe we wouldn't even be together. Maybe he would of met someone else. Maybe I would of went back to an ex. Maybe I would of went away to school. Maybe he would of moved to Florida with his best friend, like he always talked about doing. Its so easy to wonder what could have been.

If I was a single 20 year old girl, living on my own or with a couple girlfriends - and I got a glimpse of this life? I'm pretty sure I would of wished for this life. I would miss the wonderful and funny person Jake is if he wasn't around, and my heart would ache for this beautiful little girl waddling around a messy living room.

"We have a house in Jersey. We have two kids, Annie and Josh. Annie's not much of a violin player, but she tries real hard. She's a little precocious, but that's only because she says what's on her mind. And when she smiles... And Josh, he has your eyes. He doesn't say much, but we know he's smart. He's always got his eyes open, he's always watching us. Sometimes you can look at him and you just know he's learning something new. It's like witnessing a miracle. The house is a mess but it's ours. After 122 more payments, it's going to be ours. And you, you're a non-profit lawyer. That's right, you're completely non-profit, but that doesn't seem to bother you. And we're in love. After 13 years of marriage we're still unbelievably in love. You won't even let me touch you until I've said it. I sing to you. Not all the time, but definitely on special occasions. We've dealt with our share of surprises and made a lot of sacrifices but we've stayed together. You see, you're a better person than I am. And it made me a better person to be around you. I don't know, maybe it was just all a dream. Maybe I went to bed one lonely night in December and I imagined it all. But I swear, nothing has ever felt more real. And if you get on that plane right now, it'll disappear forever. I know we could both go on with our lives and we'd both be fine, but I've seen what we could be like together. And I choose us."

and I think that quote pretty much sums up what I mean.

Your life is beautiful, its good, your blessed, and you are loved - enjoy and indulge in it.

Go out and get the movie guys, its a good one. ♥


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...